Periodontal disease is more commonly known as gum disease. Researcher have linked this to many systemic problems and is known to be one of the main causes of tooth loss. As part of your general dental visit, our dentists at Southside Family Dental will examine you to determine if you have periodontal disease and appropriate treatment if required.
- Gum disease is technically known as “Periodontal Disease”.
- Periodontal disease attacks the gums and bone that support the teeth.
- Four out of five people have periodontal disease and don’t know it! Most people are not aware of it because the disease is usually painless in the early stages.
- It is the number one reason for tooth loss.
- Research shows a link between periodontal disease and other diseases such as stroke, bacterial pneumonia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and increased risk during pregnancy.